Who we are
We are a Zürich-based design and development studio for human data interaction. We help organizations create experiences that make data understandable and actionable for everyone. Always putting people at the center of attention. We serve a broad range of clients in media, technology, healthcare, academia, government, and humanitarianism. Since 2010, UNESCO, OECD, WHO, Samsung, Swisscom, and many others trust us with their most ambitious work. People who work at Interactive Things are passionate about their craft but also about collaborating with a team that brings together different backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Continuous improvement is at our core; we foster an environment where people can learn from each other and contribute to every aspect of the company. Our team is open to sharing what we do and know with the wider community. Find out more about our purpose.
Who we’re looking for
We are looking for the right person (all genders) to take on the technical and personal leadership of our development team. You will lead our developers responsible for creating digital products for clients in collaboration with colleagues from our design team. As our technology lead, you’ll direct, coach, and support the people on our team and facilitate, coordinate, and oversee their work. To be successful in this role, you should have technical expertise in building digital products and a personal interest in fostering an environment that is collaborative, empowering, supportive, and challenging — one where people do their best work.
What you’ll achieve
- Guide our technical work: You advise and support our team members with technical questions and concerns. For large projects with demanding requirements, you lay the foundation by making architectural decisions about our software development approach.
- Supervise our projects: You coordinate and supervise the work assignments of our team members based on their competency and capacity. In the spirit of continuous improvement, you monitor, analyze, and optimize our development processes and toolset.
- Build our development team: You drive the strategic team development concerning skills, roles, seniority, diversity, and inclusivity. You make decisions about our team members’ careers at our company including recruitments, promotions, and terminations.
- Mentor our team members: You conduct regular employee dialogues to review our team members’ professional development, answer questions and concerns about their employment, and coach them on their path through continuous learning and education.
- Share our knowledge: You ensure that knowledge is being shared amongst our team members and documented for future reference. You facilitate the interdisciplinary exchange between our design and development teams in coordination with our Design Lead.
- Advise our leadership: You take responsibility for the technological strategy at the company level. You support our management team by providing feasibility evaluations and workload estimations based on product specifications for sales and planning.
What we expect from you
- Team leadership: You have experience or a strong interest in leading a team of five to ten web developers or software engineers. Ideally, you have gained this experience working in a similar role in a professional environment like a design agency or software engineering studio.
- Culture building: You are committed to nurturing a diverse, inclusive, and empowering team culture and are able to align opinions with empathy and sensibility. Your ability to connect low-level, technical details with high-level, strategic decisions helps you to rally people behind a unified vision.
- Service mindset: You aspire to deliver quality work within given constraints that provides tangible value for our clients and their users. You are interested in building and preserving long-term relationships with people and products.
- Effective communication: You are willing and able to mediate between diverging ambitions from business, technology, and design to find solutions that work for everyone. To do this, you communicate fluently in English and German in a clear, honest, and confident manner.
- Technical expertise: You have professional experience in developing and delivering digital products according to agile methodologies. You have experience in operating, maintaining, and supporting digital products over the course of the entire product lifecycle. You are familiar with our technology stack including React, Next, TypeScript, and GraphQL.
What we offer
- Fair pay: We offer a starting salary of CHF 100’000 – 112’000 per year including a comprehensive benefits package for this position.
- 40 hours workweek: We highly value a healthy work-life balance and offer a regular workweek of 40h on a 100% working schedule.
- Overtime compensation: We encWe encourage and enable everyone on our team to compensate for overtime with personal time-off.
- Flexible work arrangement: We provide flexible working hours, the possibility to work part-time, and we are open to remote work, although some on-location presence is required.
- Paid company holidays: We offer company-wide holidays during the festive season in addition to four weeks of paid, personal vacation per year.
- Paid absences & parental leave: We offer two additional weeks of paid parental leave, including foster care and adoption. In the event of important family matters, we offer paid compassionate leave.
- Transparent salary system: We have a transparent salary and financial benefit system to ensure all employees are treated equally and fairly.
- Operating profit share: We share 10% of annual operating profits amongst each employee at the end of the fiscal year.
- Continuous education stipend: We sponsor the continuous education and professional development of each employee with a personal yearly budget of CHF 2’000.
- Ergonomic workspace: We supply all employees with a dedicated, ergonomic workspace and all the tools they need to conduct their work in our studio in Zürich.
- Free lunch, snacks & drinks: We cover expenses for lunch on workdays and our studio offers plenty of snacks and drinks at your discretion.
Working remotely or on-location
We believe in the power of shared, collaborative spaces. Usually, you will be working at our beautiful studio in Zürich equipped with your own ergonomic workspace. Here you will experience a friendly and respectful environment where people matter the most. During the covid-19 pandemic, we encourage working remotely and ensure that you’ll be set up for that too. Once it’s safe to get back together, we envision a two days in, three days out model.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are important to us. We welcome all candidates irrespective of their identities, qualities, and experiences. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, marital status, medical conditions, national origin, physical or mental disability, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. When in doubt, please apply!