A pioneer in scholarly open access publishing, MDPI has supported academic communities since 1996. Our mission is to foster open scientific exchange in all forms, across all disciplines. We operate more than 250 diverse, peer-reviewed, open access journals supported by over 35,500 academic editors. We serve scholars from around the world to ensure the latest research is openly and broadly available.
MDPI is headquartered in Basel, Switzerland with additional offices in Europe and Asia. We are committed to ensuring that high quality research is made available as quickly as possible. We also support sustainability projects, with sustainability as a key theme in many journals and through the MDPI Sustainability Foundation.
At MDPI, we develop and maintain various platforms in order to better serve the scientific community. Please find here-below a list of our main platforms: https://www.mdpi.com/ https://sciprofiles.com/ https://sciforum.net/ https://www.scilit.net/ https://www.preprints.org/ https://encyclopedia.pub/
To support our Publishing company and our IT department, we are looking for a proactive System and Security Engineer (m/f/d) 80-100%. In this role, you will report to the Head of Information Security. This is a full time and permanent position based in our headquarter office in Basel, Switzerland.
As System and Security Engineer you will:
- Plan, install and administer Linux servers in accordance with operational and project requirements
- Maintain, evaluate and optimize IT and network security & backup systems
- Collaborate with development teams in order to optimize system implementation according to service requirements
- Investigate problematic and defective states in order to identify root causes and provide optimal possible solutions
- Take care of the administration of network components like firewalls, routers and switches
- Provide support and solution to IT users (L2/L3 tier)
- Degree in Computer Science and several years of experience with Unix/Linux
- Recognized certification in Linux administration or IT security would be an asset.
- At least 3+ years of experience in Linux distribution, automation, and configuration management
- Good knowledge in IT security, investigating incidents, patch vulnerability and backup management
- Know-how in installing, administering, and troubleshooting security solutions
- Good scripting (e.g. BASH) expertise
- Proficient management/administration of standard open-source applications like databases, application servers, load balancers and proxies (MySQL, Nginx, etc.)
- Good understanding on administration of the network assets: firewalls, switches (Cisco)
- Experience in ticketing system L2/L3 and troubleshooting operational issues keeping in mind the overall system operation
- Good understanding on web application programming (e.g. PHP) language is a plus
- Strong written and spoken English skills
- Able to work independently and proactively
If you are interested in this position, we look forward to receiving your application. Please submit both your cover letter and CV to email@example.com. We look forward to welcoming you to our Basel office.