Senior Platform Engineer
Tamedia is the leading private media group in Switzerland. The digital platforms, daily and weekly newspapers and magazines of Tamedia offer overview, classification and selection. The company was founded in 1893 and employs a staff of approximately 3,400 in Switzerland, Austria, Denmark, France, Germany, Israel, Luxembourg and Serbia. It has been traded at the Swiss stock exchange since 2000.
Today, ricardo.ch is the largest online marketplace in Switzerland with over 1 million listed items and more than 2 million users. We aim to improve our platform, innovate, grow the marketplace even further. If you enjoy challenges at scale, high energy work, and are creative in the solutions you bring, then you will enjoy working with us.
Senior Platform Engineer
The Platform Team at ricardo.ch designs, builds and runs a cloud-native infrastructure, development platform and deployment pipeline that power our applications and services. We ensure our services are always up and running by automating all aspects and using Open Source technology such as Kubernetes, Ansible, PostgreSQL, Kafka, Zipkin, Prometheus and Grafana. We operate servers in our data center and on AWS.
Our goal is to run ricardo.ch in a completely automated environment, that can run on a developer’s laptop or in the cloud. We aim to deliver seamless monitoring, tracing, and tuning tools. We strive for real-time architecture through event-sourcing, fast microservices, and zero-downtime deployment. As a member of the Platform Team, you will work directly with ricardo.ch Software Engineering and take active ownership of our infrastructure.
In the industry, this role is sometimes called DevOps Engineer, Site Reliability Engineer, Production Engineer or even Service Engineer.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Take strong ownership of configuration management, the deployment pipeline and the target hosting environment
- Build and scale our Kubernetes-based platform, deployment pipelines and persistent services
- Automate all aspects of our infrastructure, including network, testing and security
- Responsible for designing and securing the interaction between kernel and containers
- Collaborate closely with our software engineers
- Shape the DevOps culture with the team and across engineering
- Technical leadership of projects and people
- Operate high-availability production services as an on-call engineer
Desired Skills & Experience
- At least 3-5 years of experience operating a production system
- Must have reliable Linux skills with multiple years of professional experience
- Comfortable operating in OSI layers 3 through 7
- Docker skills required, ideally paired with Kubernetes experience
- Experienced in any configuration management framework such as Ansible, Puppet, Chef or Salt
- proficient in a programming and/or scripting language
- Cloud computing providers such as AWS, Azure, Google Cloud
- Able to troubleshoot complex issues in distributed systems
- Experience with monitoring, alerting and preferably incident response
- Excellent technical communication skills – documentation, presentations and remote calls
- Fluent in English, German or French a plus
- Strong engineering culture, empowerment and trust
- Working on a very popular product in Switzerland, strong customer interaction
- Fun working atmosphere with attractive working conditions
- Central office close to Zug main station with great public transportation
- Co-workers with international background working with bleeding edge technology
- X-Box, table football, sports offering over lunch
- Working part-time is an option, remote only from a country close to Switzerland or France
- Training budget available for every engineer
- Weekly time for more free-form experiments and hacking
- if you need a book, we buy you the book
Ricardo, General-Guisan-Strasse 8, 6301 Zug